The Southwest School of Art is a nationally-recognized leader in arts education, currently offering studio programs for more than 4,000 adults, children and teens annually on its campus.
The school also organizes contemporary art exhibitions, and houses a small history museum, and a lunch café. During a typical year, more than 225,000 people attend events, view exhibitions, enroll in classes or visit the historic site.
Located on two adjacent campuses, the school’s Ursuline Campus is the former home of the Ursuline Convent & Academy, originally founded in 1851 as the first school for girls in San Antonio. On this campus are the school’s extensive ceramics and fibers studios, its Young Artist Programs area, the tranquil gardens, arching trees and historic buildings that make the school San Antonio’s favorite “downtown oasis.”
The John L. Santikos Building is the site of the school’s contemporary exhibition galleries and its high-tech classrooms and studios for photography, metals, printmaking, digital imaging, paper and book arts, as well as drawing and painting and 3-D media.
The mission of the Southwest School of Art is to teach and advance the visual arts.